Congratulations to Moville Celtic

"Making History" - winning it back 2 back

Ulster Junior Cup Champions - 2 years in a Row

Moville Celtic celebrate their Victory











Lagan Harps 0 - Moville Celtic 1

Lagan Harps' dreams of winning their first ever Ulster Junior Cup were dashed by Moville Celtic in the final at Ballyare last night.

A second-half goal by midfielder PJ Barr was enough for the Foyleside team, who have created their own piece of footballing history by becoming the first team from Inishowen to retain the coveted trophy.

In a tempestuous game, which reached boiling point on more than one occasion in the second period, both teams were reduced to ten men.

Kevin Kelly received his marching orders from referee Paddy Melaugh after an over-robust challenge on nippy striker Nigel McMonagle. Moville's Gavin Doherty joined Kelly on his early walk to the dressing room after being red carded for retaliating.

More positive throughout, the Inishowen team carried the great threat, with the tandem of McMonagle and Joe Doherty carrying more of a threat than the Lagan attack, which often saw Chris Toner isolated in the final third.

Underdogs Lagan had upset the odds to defeat Inishowen opposition, Cockhill and Glengad, in the last two rounds but they met a Moville Celtic team last night determined to keep hold of the trophy they have shined each of the last twelve months.

Jason Gibson's team, playing against the wind in the first-half, settled quickly into their task and fired two shots in anger before Moville found their collective feet.

Chris Toner, central to much of what was good about Lagan Harps, excellently set-up Aidan O'Donnell and Kevin Kelly in the opening ten minutes but both men fired too high.

After a nervy start favourites Moville could have taken the lead moments later but Joe Doherty's shot was blocked behind for a corner. The veteran Inishowen man's ensuing corner was then brilliantly cleared off the line by Lagan's Ciaran McCarron.

A PJ Barr effort midway through the half failed to trouble Lagan keeper Tony Blake before Gavin Doherty came closest to breaking the deadlock. The impressive defender collected a pass from his brother, Graeme, before unleashing a rasping shot, which flew two inches over the bar with Blake rooted to the spot.

Moville were on the attack again with Joe Doherty setting up Gavin Doherty, whose shot was charged down. Another expert Doherty corner was superbly headed clear from under his own crossbar by Lagan Harps defender Ronan Curran.

A third Moville corner in quick succession had the Inishowen bench on their feet for a handball appeal in the box but referee Paddy Melaugh waived away the protests.

Moville forward Nigel McMonagle posed a threat towards the end of the half as he sped to the byline to fire in a cross. Lagan number one, Tony Blake, punched the ball clear before Graeme Doherty's shot flew over.

In the last action of the first half-half Chris Toner had the Lagan men on the attack, beating two defenders before having his smart shot saved by Paul White.

Darren Bredin brought Declan McGuinness into the Moville team for the second-half and the right winger repaid his manager with a fantastic shift for the team.

McGuinness' whipped cross was well taken by Tony Blake in the Lagan goal following good work by Moville strike partners, Joe Doherty and Nigel McMonagle.

PJ Barr then had a dinked effort cleared off the line by Lagan defender Seamy Peoples as the Donegal League men came under increasing amounts of pressure.

Shane Canning, pulling the strings in midfield during the second-half, pinpointed a cross field ball for Nigel McMonagle but Blake was quickly out to save at the feet of the Moville striker.

Lagan's sole threat, Chris Toner, then almost gave the Harps an unlikely lead after latching onto Brian Bradley's long throw. Toner flicked his effort over the bar though with Paul White stranded between the Moville posts.

A couple of long range frees, both taken by Lagan's Kevin Kelly, failed to trouble White before the Inishowen men finally hit the jackpot.

A Gavin Doherty free-kick found Graeme Doherty at the back post and the midfielder expertly found his central partner, PJ Barr, who kept his cool to 'stoop bravely' and head home from a tight angle.

Cue scenes of delight on the Moville bench and amongst the majority of the 150 strong crowd.

The Inishowen men should have had the trophy on its way back up the N13 minutes later but Nigel McMonagle wasted a glorious chance, shooting too high with the goal at his mercy following Declan McGuinness' excellent cross.

The game boiled over less than ten minutes from the end when Lagan Harps' Kevin Kelly was red carded for an over the top tackle on Nigel McMonagle. The incident saw both benches exchange harsh words before Gavin Doherty was ordered off as both sides went down to ten men.

In a frantic finish Moville just about kept their cool and a succession of Lagan free-kicks and long balls failed to penetrate the Inishowen team's net.

With the dust settled this morning, Jason Gibson and the Lagan players will reflect on an excellent Ulster Junior Cup run. Moville will return the trophy to the Glencrow cabinet for another twelve months though.

Lagan Harps: Tony Blake, Ciaran McCarron, Paul Rodgers, Seamy Peoples, Ronan Curran, Ronan Gibson, Brian Bradley, Aidan O'Donnell, Chris Toner, Kevin Kelly, John Gallagher. Subs: Marty Brogan, Damian McFadden, Glenn Gallagher, John Boyle, Brian Kelly, Michael Toner.

Moville Celtic: Paul White, Conor McLaughlin, Gavin Doherty, Tony McGeady, Mark Henry, Shane Canning, PJ Barr, Graeme Doherty, Joe Doherty, Richard McElhinney, Nigel McMonagle. Subs: Darryl Doherty, Kevin Coyle, Oran McDermott, Declan McGuinness, Maurice McCauley, Maurice McGeady.

Ulster Junior Cup       Semi Final

Veteran Doherty keeps his cool to drive Moville on

Clonmany Shamrocks  0-1    Moville Celtic (AET)

Moville Celtic’s bid to retain the Ulster Junior cup remains firmly on course after a hard fought extra time win over Clonmany Shamrocks at Shamrock Park. Indeed but for a superlative display by shamrocks keeper Peter Devlin it would have ended much earlier.Moville dominated the opening period with Joe Doherty crossing to Nigel McMonagle who cut inside and let loose with a rising effort which Devlin tipped over. Midway through the half Doherty went on a run before crossing from the right which Devlin gathered at the feet of McMonagle. In the second period Moville continued to press with Paul McLaughlin hacking a Doherty corner off the line. On the hour another free by Tony McGeady was parried by Devlin to Doherty whose effort was cleared away by Steve Harkin. Doherty then controlled well twenty yards out but Devlin was equal to his effort low to his left hand side. In the first period of extra time Ritchie McElhinney saw a driven effort well saved by Devlin before Doherty crossed for McElhinney but Devlin stemmed the flow with another superb save. Moville were finally rewarded midway through the second period when Doherty converted a penalty awarded for handball  blasting the ball straight down the middle.

Veteran Doherty hits sublime hat trick as holders advance

Moville Celtic                5-0    Gweedore Celtic

Holders Moville Celtic served a clear warning as to their intentions in this season’s competition with this comprehensive victory over Gweedore Celtic.

A poor clearance by the visitors fell to Ritchie McElhinney in the opening minute but his volley crashed off the bar before neat interplay ended with PJ Barr seeing his tame shot gathered by Michael McKelvey.Gweedore replied with Clon Ferry seeing his header clip the top of the bar on the way over before Oran McNelis headed straight at Paul White when unmarked at the back post.Moville replied with Mckelvey gathering well at the feet of McMonagle before McMonagle beats the offside trap and flashes a left footed effort across goal and wide.The home side took the lead on 28 minutes with McMonagle feeding Joe Doherty who despite being off balance flicked the ball past McKelvey. Moville’s Gavin Doherty and PJ Barr then both went close with good efforts before a scramble in the Moville area saw the ball trickle across goal and wide. Ferry then had a sniff of goal but Kevin Coyle blocked his effort and then White then saved well from a Mcnelis free kick taken quickly.The home side went two nil up on 38 minutes when Joe Doherty curled a superb twenty yards effort just inside the post and past the despairing dive of McKelvey. Before the break an unmarked Declan McGuinness saw a flick turned onto the bar by McKelvey.

Moville got off to a flyer in the second period and when a long ball caused confusion McElhinney headed onto McMonagle who fired low to the net from fourteen yards. McMonagle then ran onto a Shane Canning pass and evaded a few challenges but fired inches wide before McGuinness headed over following a corner.Neat play between Doherty and McMonagle set up McElhinney but his effort was brilliantly cleared off the line by Kevin Friel. Moville made it four when Canning fires a superb twenty yards effort to the bottom corner with McKelvey stranded.Joe Doherty then completed his hat trick on 76 minutes when he pounced on a defensive error and brilliantly chipped the visitors keeper from thirty yards. Gweedore ‘s Friel rose highest at the back post but failed to trouble White in the home goal. In the closing minutes McMonagle’s rasping shot was palmed away by Mckelvey before Joe Doherty fired wide when in a good position.

Ulster Junior Cup

Barr double inspires Holders 

Moville Celtic      5-3              Redcastle United

Holders Moville got off to a flying start when they took the lead after 2 minutes after Nigel McMonagle found Ritchie McElhinney and he drilled a low shot past Gerard Crossan from six yards. Minutes later they almost doubled their lead but Crossan excelled to make a brilliant point blank save to turn a PJ Barr  header round the post. They increased their lead when McMonagle raced clear of the visitors defence and coolly drew Crossan before slotting low to the net. Both sides were forced into a re-shuffle when Moville’s Shane Canning and Redcastle’s Daniel Harkin were injured in an accidental clash and both are wished speedy recoveries. Moville had the first chance of the second half when Barr fed McMonagle but he shot tamely at Crossan when well placed.Redcastle upped the tempo and got back into the game on 65 minutes when Eddie McIntyre beat the offside to slot home from sixteen yards.They equalized when Jimmy Gallagher’s long range shot took a wicked deflection past Paul White in the home goal.Moville replied with McElhinney seeing a well struck half volley parried by Crossan which resulted in a scramble before Redcastle cleared.On 85 minutes a quick break by Redcastle saw Eamon Donnelly break into the area and see his  cross shot beat White but rebound into the keepers arms off the post.Redcastle suffered a big blow when they were reduced to ten men after Ciaran McGrory was redcarded as extra time loomed. Moville regained the lead with a brilliant strike from PJ Barr which nestled in the top corner from all of thirty yards. Minutes later they increased their lead to four two when Barr added his second sliding in to force the ball home after a good cross from McElhinney.Within a minute of the restart Redcastle reduced the deficit when Gallagher added his second of the game when he sidefooted home an McIntyre cross from the right. Redcastle forced a corner but Moville broke quickly and when substitute Oran McDermott raced through he rounded Crossan and squared to McMonagle to slot home.

Kilmacrennan Celtic 3     Moville Celtic 4

The visitors started the strongest and it took a goal from Moville to get a reaction from the home side.
Moville took the lead through Declan McGuiness on the half-hour-mark from a fine Joe Doherty corner. Kilmacrennan sprang to life and scored two goals within the last five minutes of the first half. Gary Gorman scrambled the ball in from three yards after Eddie Doherty's shot was cleared off the line.
Doherty then got on the scored sheet right at the death of the first half after being put through by Timmy Burke, the striker coolly finished from 20 yards with just the 'keeper to beat. Moville threw everything they could at the Kilmacrennan defence for the entire second half and were rewarded with 15 minutes remaining.
Joe Doherty got onto the end of a Declan McGuiness cross and headed in from 10 yards. The away side continued to press and scored two goals in quick succession. Ritchie McElhinney made no mistake from two yards after great work from Joe Doherty with twelve minutes to go.
Doherty secured his brace two minutes later from 25 yards with a fine free-kick.
Eddie Doherty scored his second late on and set up a tense final three minutes. Kilmac thought they scored again right at the death when the ball had "apparantley" crossed the line from a goal mouth scramble however referee Lawerence Duggan was blinded by the amount of players in the six-yard box.
Moville march on while Kilmacrennan must now concentrate on the league.