Reserve Shield Winners... 2 years in a row!

Shield Winners 2011


Match Report:

Super sub Boyce clinches two in a row for Moville

Illies Celtic Reserves                        1-2       Moville Celtic Reserves (AET)

This was a much closer game than many would have predicted as Moville were expected to be much too strong for an Illies side who were determined to thwart their four in a row bid.Indeed Illies will point to missed chances at crucial stages of the game which could have made the outcome different.Illies began the better and when Gerard McDaid flicked on a long throw Moville keeper Sean McGuinness got his fingertips to it to turn in behind.They had a great chance on 9 minutes after Dominic Doherty’s free found Liam O’Connor coming in behind the Moville defence but he sidefooted wide from close range.Illies were then unlucky to see Joe McDaid’s looping effort crash back off the bar before the Moville defence cleared to safety.Moville replied and in their first attack they opened the scoring on 13 minutes after Michael Coyle headed the ball behind the Illies defence and when keeper Graham Doherty hesitated Conor Lafferty pounced to fire low across Doherty to the bottom corner from twelve yards.Moville went close again after a corner broke in the area to Christy McGeoghaghan but his flicked effort was blocked by Doherty.Midway through the half Illies got back on terms after the Moville defence failed to clear and Matthew Grant rounded a defender before firing in a shot which McGuinness got a hand to but could not prevent the ball rolling over the line.Moville upped the pace then and were on top until the break.When Lafferty had another shot spilled by Doherty the keeper atoned when he recovered to turn Harry McQuillan’s follow up effort behind. Following another neat attack by Moville the Illies defence failed to clear and McQuillan had a clear sight of goal but again Doherty spread himself to block with his defence completing the clearance.On the stroke of half time Moville missed their clearest chance when Lafferty fed captain Michael B Doherty but he fired straight at Doherty when well placed.The opening twenty minutes of the second period was a dour midfield battle with defences on top and neither side creating anything of note.Midway through the half Moville’s McQuillan found space on the right and fed Lafferty who turned well but fired well off target.Illies then had a great spell late in the game.On 70 minutes their captain Liam O’Connor collected a throw in on the left and turned in to unleash a powerful shot which deflected off a defender and crashed off the bar with McGuinness stranded.Minutes later Joe McDaid shook off two tackles before curling a twenty yards effort inches over the bar.Their best chance of victory came on 86 minutes however when following great work by Grant on the right his cross found the unmarked Seamus Donaghey but he headed a glorious chance well wide from ten yards.Moville had the better of extra time and in the first period Christy McLaughlin fed McQuillan who found Doherty but from a good position he fired across goal and wide.They struck for the winner in the last seconds of the first half when a corner broke inside the Illies area and substitute Tony Boyce hooked the ball to the top corner from eight yards.Illies tried to get back into it in the second half but the Moville defence superbly marshalled by Darren Bredin gave nothing away. Moville were always dangerous on the break with the pace of Boyce a constant threat to the Illies defence.

Man of the Match

There were a number of players in contention for both sides with Moville’s Bredin and Doherty very prominent.But the award went to Illies midfielder Joe McDaid who gave every ounce of energy , covered acres of ground and was agonisingly close to scoring on two occasions.