Buncrana Credit Union Cup Final

Maginn Park Buncrana 2pm ET & Pens

Culdaff FC         2-2    Moville Celtic

( Moville win 4.2 on pens)

Culdaff had the Credit Union cup cruelly snatched from their grasp when  Moville Celtic equalised in injury time at the end of extra time before emerging victorious on penalties in an excellent game in Maginn Park.

In a good open game Culdaff had a great chance in the opening minute when Brendan McLaughlin turned the Moville defence in and out but saw his effort deflected wide by Sean McGuinness. Conor O’Brien then  had a driven free gathered at the second attempt by McGuinness. Moville settled with PJ Barr firing well over before from a short corner Tony Boyce’s dangerous cross was sliced over his own bar by Eugene McLaughlin. Great trickery then by Nigel McMonagle ended with his left footed shot whizzing just past George Houten’s left hand post. Midway through the half Culdaff went close after Brendan Mclaughlin collected a flick on and ran at the Moville defence before firing just wide. But Moville responded with Boyce seeing a snapshot saved by Houten before Shane Canning’s attempted chip landed on the net.

On 37 minutes a superb move saw McMonagle feed Joe Doherty who crossed to Dermot Harkin but he was denied by a combination of defender and keeper Houten.Play swung immediately to the other end with Harkin making a superb last ditch tackle to clear O’Brien’s dangerous cross.On the stroke of half time Culdaff took the lead after O’Brien dispossessed keeper McGuinness and kept his composure to feed  strike partner Coyle and he fired low to the corner from close range.Moville upped the pressure on the restart pinning Culdaff back and it was no surprise when they  levelled on 55 minutes after a spell of pressure ended with a poor clearance allowing Raymond Campbell to drill a powerful twenty five yards effort in off Houtens left hand post. Joe Doherty then crossed to McMongle and when his effort was blocked by Brian McGonigle the ball fell to Shane Canning and he drove wide.

Culdaff came out of their shell with Brendan McLaughlin firing narrowly over before another O’Brien free kicked lacked the power to beat McGuinness.Indecision in the Culdaff defence allowed McMonagle a sight of goal but he fired high and wide on 78 minutes.Brendan McLaughlin and O’Brien combined on the left for the latters cross to reach Dean O’Connor but he volleyed over.Culdaff spurned a gilt edged chance on 85 minutes when O’Brien released Eugene McLaughlin to race clear into the elft side of the area but his effort was blocked by the legs of McGuinness.Moville had the final chances in normal time with McMonagle’s low effort well saved by Houten and O’Connor clearing off the line before Joe Doherty had an effort blocked at the second attempt by Houten.

Both McMonagle and Conor Mclaughlin were off target with efforts early in extra time.Then on 98 minutes Coyle fed the ball inside to O’Brien and when his initial shot cannoned off the legs of McGuinness O’Brien followed up to powerfully head to the net. Culdaff spurned the chance to clinch the cup on 102 minutes when great work by substitute Derek Doherty sent Brendan Mclaughlin racing clear but he somehow lifted the ball wide. Moville kept pressing and had loud claims for handball waved away in a crowded goalmouth.In injury time they snatched the game from the jaws of defeat when the Culdaff defence retreated allowing Campbell to cross for the totally unmarked Joe Doherty who powerfully headed past Houten to the roof of the net. The experience of Moville told in the shootout with Graeme and Joe Doherty, McMOnagle and Barr all scoring.When Culdaff missed their first and fourth it was all over and Moville claimed the cup in an excellent game.